Webcam icon

Wind Speed

clipart wind turbine blade 2

XC Weather

Live Weather

Met Office

metoffice logo 320x208

Demo Day by Robin Hood Watersports 10th August 2019

There'd been a lot of build up for us to expect "an unseasonably deep depression for this time of year, the sort we'd normally expect in Autumn." It didn't work out quite that way when saturday came around. Yes, we had rain, plenty of rain actually, torrential at times actually. I know, I was sailing when that hit! But the wind wasn't consistently strong. Instead of Force 5 gusting to 7, it was more like Force 3 to 4, gusting to 6. It built during the afternoon though, then we did see some good Force 5 wind for a spell.

Alex from Robin Hood did the honours on the day, rigging a variety of kit for us to try. Unsurprisingly in the conditions, Alex got cold and wet in the process, so we do owe him a big thank you! Most of us got to try a few combinations. It's not easy to cram into a van exactly the right kit for the exact wind strength on the day - especially if the forecast isn't quite right! In the morning perhaps we could have done with a bigger rig or two, but that problem went away in the afternoon.

Please note that Alex has offered to run a further demo(s) late September/early October, based on a good wind forecast a few days beforehand.

What we tried out included:

  • 2020 & 2019 Goya Volar
  • 2020 & 2019 Goya Proton 116 litre and the latest 136 litre version
  • 2017 JP Magic Ride 111 litre
  • 95 litre wave board - JP?
  • Goya Mark, Nexus & Freewave sails
  • Point 7 ACX sails – freerace, no cam (my personal favourite)

Click below for the photos.

Firstly, here's the demo kit in use .... - then remember to scroll down for more photos

And secondly, here are some members out on their own kit ....


davem - 08/12/2019 - 11:05

I'll give it a miss too, then. hope the forecst for tuesday holds up.

John L - 08/12/2019 - 09:53

Met Office says 6C so bit too cold for me today. F6 gusting 8 is a bit wild too. Tues is next prospect - mild but just as wild.

davemonks - 05/12/2019 - 22:07

I will sail Sunday if I'm back in time, away at the moment

davem - 05/12/2019 - 18:50

Still hoping to get up tomorrow, but the job for with Greg didn't exactly go smoothly today :-(

John L - 05/12/2019 - 16:44

Yes Stephen, you can't rush that

Stephen Treasure - 05/12/2019 - 10:16

Recovering from a hernia operation. Keyhole is great, but I can't yet sail - Grrr

John L - 05/12/2019 - 08:47

Anyone else joining Dave and me Fri pm? 10C and F4/5. May also sail Sunday though a bit colder.

davem - 02/12/2019 - 19:53

Might be able to join you on Friday, got to give Greg a hand with some work Thurs/Fri but hopefully get away by lunchtime.

Login below or Create an Account to access the Shoutbox.

Login Form

Who's Online

We have 49 guests and one member online


Weather data OK.
4 °C
Useful Links

Who's Online

We have 49 guests and one member online

Useful Links